Powerful, Easy-to-Use IBM i Change Management
Invest just one week to install, analyse, configure, educate, and implement MDCMS. You’ll immediately realise months of time savings, plus the priceless value of clean, automated, and fully audited software deployments.
Midrange Dynamics change management software provides everything you need to handle application changes on IBM i systems. In addition, with the MDOpen plug-in, every MDCMS feature that’s available for native IBM i deployment is also available for multiplatform environments.
MDCMS is inherently flexible it its design – our customers do not need to learn a proprietary language to configure it to fit their environment. This flexibility also enables us to work well with other best of breed solutions on the market, including those that support various application modernization-related projects.
Midrange Dynamics change management is an integrated solution with tools that work for native and open systems development on the same screen. Our fully functional field-level cross referencing tool is also a plus. In addition, no other change management solutions offer the depth of functionality related to SQL included in MDCMS.
For many reasons, including quicker implementation and easy upgrade to new versions, you will enjoy lower total cost of ownership with Midrange Dynamics change management.
- Business users or team leaders can enter projects or issue requests with a central online tool
- Track requests by programmer, status, due date, etc.
- Reference all objects modified, or commands performed, for each project
- Sync project information automatically across all systems
- Interface with external project management tools with an API
- Get online, paper, or electronic reports with the built-in report generator
- Enable developers and business users to quickly navigate through application objects and data with MDXREF, included free with MDCMS
- Search easily the entire database for specific fields or field attributes
- Find and report data transactions with comprehensive journal analysis
- Use powerful comparison tools to search for differences at the library, object, source, or data level of an application
Source and Object Management
- Eliminate risk of version conflicts in a team environment with reservation system for source and objects to be modified
- Edit, compile, test, and generate reports from the developer workspace within MDCMS
- Set rules easily via administrator functions so that source and objects are always handled in the correct manner
- Handle all IBM i object types, including IFS stream files, SQL entities, ILE components, message descriptions, and configuration data
- Select objects quickly in libraries delivered from external vendors for migration into your environment
- Automatically select all dependent files, programs, queries, etc. for modification or recompilation when a file is selected to be modified
- Know in advance of any conflicts, missed objects, etc. using the Pre-Installation Checker
- Archive previous versions of source and objects (up to 99 generations per object); if necessary, part or all of an object package may be rolled back at any time
- Map data in modified files to new format
- Replicate source or objects to any number of target libraries or directories
- Apply all necessary object authorities
- Define commands to run before or after installation is complete
- Roll-back of installation is automatic when it cannot be completed, and detailed error reporting is provided
- Install hands-free while users are not on the system using Scheduler functions
- Require approval from an authorized user before installation can occur
- Distribute object packages simultaneously to unlimited IBM i machines or partitions via FTP, SNA, or third-party file transfer tools
- Allow for differences in operating system versions
- Select whether to send only source, only objects, both, or neither
- Use MDSEC Application Security to prevent unauthorized access and secure all functions in MDCMS individually.
- Perform comprehensive logging each time an installation occurs. Detailed information may be viewed online or with a customized report.
- Know every change made to your applications at the data and object levels with detailed audit reporting for object modifications made outside of MDCMS.
Built-in Application Security and Compliance
A programmer simply describes an application function to MDSEC, and then MDSEC assigns a security code to that function. The programmer then embeds a call to MDSEC’s security checking function with the security code inside the necessary program(s). A reply indicates whether or not the user is authorized to the function.
MDWorkFlow Web-Based Project Management
Use MDWorkflow web-based project management to gain visibility of all software changes while implementing central approval, scheduling, and object migration tracking across all systems throughout the application lifecycle.
Seamlessly exchange project information, whether it’s business groups managing user requirements or it’s technical groups managing changes to specific native IBM i and non-native objects. All parties involved can view the status of projects at any time and are informed when a process has reached specific steps within the process flow.
Change Management for Multi Platform Environments
MDOpen handles change management for multiplatform environments with the same efficiency and reliability that MDCMS handles native IBM i objects. It offers an easy-to-use graphical portal to the rich array of MDCMS functions that help development teams streamline application lifecycle management tasks.From source code and object management for RPG, COBOL, and Java, to automated code distribution and installation on production servers.
The MDOpen plug-in, which has met IBM specifications as Ready for IBM Rational software, can be used with any common Eclipse-based platform including IBM Rational Developer for i or Zend Studio.
An MDCMS Eclipse perspective presents a central graphical overview of settings, projects, installation packages, and open-object requests across all systems.
Edit and manage all MDCMS-related entities, including native and non-native source, from the MDCMS perspective.
Additionally, objects within the programmer workspace can be requested for deployment and then committed to the MDCMS repository from any Eclipse perspective.